Saturday, February 13, 2016

Carpe Diem #918 Touch/Tactioception (Pain)


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

A new day to become inspired, to sharpen the senses and to ask you something. First my question: I have reason to believe that our 2nd Renga Party is not running well, because the last days I haven't seen a comment there. So I don't know what is going wrong. I have read all the links until now and I saw that it is Milan's turn.

Today the prompt I had planned was titled "pain", but it had to be "touch/tactioception", so that's the reason why this post has another title.

Introduction

Bob Marley once said: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain". A true saying I think so. I once discovered the music of Karunesh and his music hit me so hard that became addicted to his music. I even have had CD-Specials in which I used music by Karunesh

Here is an example of his music:



 But ... of course in this episode it's about some other kind of pain, the pain you feel (touch). Or maybe also a kind of emotional / spiritual pain.

Hamish on Touch/Tactioception (Pain)

While your other four senses (sight, hearing, smell, and taste) are located in specific parts of the body, your sense of touch is found all over. This is because your sense of touch originates in the bottom layer of your skin called the dermis. The dermis is filled with many tiny nerve endings which give you information about the things with which your body comes in contact.
The nerve endings in your skin can tell you if something is hot or cold (as in sense ofTemperature). They can also feel if something is hurting you. Your body has about twenty different types of nerve endings that all send messages to your brain. However, the most common receptors are heat, cold, pain, and pressure or touch receptors. Some areas of the body are more sensitive than others because they have more nerve endings. Have you ever bitten your tongue and wondered why it hurt so much? It is because the sides of your tongue have a lot of nerve endings that are very sensitive to pain. However, your tongue is not as good at sensing hot or cold. That is why it is easy to burn your mouth when you eat something really hot. Your fingertips are also very sensitive. For example, people who are blind use their fingertips to read Braille by feeling the patterns of raised dots on their paper.  
Cracked Wood Texture (for example)
 Bring some 'texture' into your haiku today. Make us feel the surface of what you describe, be it the bark of a tree or the soft fur of an animal, or something else.
My response
This will not be an easy task to bring touch into haiku, but of course I had to try it myself too and I have to say ... it wasn't easy, not easy at all, so I ran through my archive to find an "oldie".
this cold winter night
lying naked under my quilt
feels like summer
© Chèvrefeuille (2012)
And I just had to try to compose a new one in which I catch the gentle touch, the emotional touch and it resulted in the following haiku:
seeking affection
her soft hands on my thigh -
Morning Glory blooms


© Chèvrefeuille
I hope this post will inspire you to create an all new haiku or tanka, of course you may also share haiku or tanka from your archives.

This episode will be open for your submissions tonight at 7.00 PM (CET) and it will remain open until February 16th at noon (CET). I will (try to) publish our new episode, our third CD-Special by Hamish Managua Gunn, our featured haiku poet, later on. For now ... have fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment