Sunday, May 25, 2014

Carpe Diem's "Little Ones" #11, Tilus, a new form of micro-poetry


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

Not so long ago Björn introduced a new 'little one' at Carpe Diem. It's an extraordinary poetry-form created by 'Kelvin S.M.' ... this poem is called 'tilus' and is in a way similar to haiku. The 'tilus' works with counting syllables and has nature and humans as part of it.

It's a great form, but not an easy one, but ... well ... never walk away from a good challenge heh ...!
Kelvin S.M.

Tilus [tee-loo-hz] is a form created by Kelvin S.M. and falls under the category of micro poetry. The form is divided into two parts: the first part is composed of two lines following a 6-3 syllable
count; the second part, a one-syllable word to close and/or complete the subject layered in the first part.
The whole piece must, only, contain 10 in overall syllable count. The main focus of Tilus is on the world of Nature, and how it can open a new door to a wider understanding of life and beyond. The form aims to be epic in emotions expressed, more importantly,than to be epic in words.

A few examples by Kelvin S.M.:

1.

Life ... let me fall in you
clean as a

dew.


2.

Old crow wears red; night has
settled on

him.


3.

River blue: I quaff clouds
on river

skin.


As you can see and read this isn't an easy form of micro-poetry ... it's even shorter than a haiku and shorter as an 'eye-blink' ... so this is a real challenge.

A first try:

after a rainy day
finally

sun

Or another one, in celebrating the full moon, my love, as you all know.



almost full flower moon
behind clouds

ah!

(*) 'full flower moon' is the one of the names for the full moon of May.

This is really not an easy form. Mostly my haiku are flowing from my pencil, but tilus ... more time needed thinking and re-thinking ... I like it and I hope you all will like it or least try it once.

Another one:

reaching for the spring sun
sunflowers

bloom


Credits: Sunflowers - Van Gogh

Awesome! What a nice poetry form ... I think I will become addicted to this form ... or ... no, haiku will stay my addiction!

This episode of CD's "Little Ones" is NOW OPEN for your submissions and will remain open until June 25th at noon. For now have fun, be inspired and try this Tilus at least once!


5 comments:

  1. awesome! many thanks to share it ... i am surely going to love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, a new short form,...haibun, plush so much more. I have some shores to attend - then perhaps I will engage my imagination.

    Thank you for the several posts I would like to be inspired by ~Jules

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haiku was my very first introduction in poetry along with Sonnets. I remember my first attempt of haiku & it was back in high school english class wherein the topic was about japanese literature. It was about bees & goes like this:

    A buzzing sound came
    early morning in the field;
    the flowers shiver.

    Tilus was probably inspired by Haiku. At first glance, one would think tilus as more like a contemporary version of the traditional haiku form. It's basically simple but lies in its simplicity is a great challenge of brevity & clarity. I developed this form, personally to master my absolute passion for minimalist poetry (though ocassionally, i do write in longer poems too).

    I'm thrilled that you are using Tilus as prompt / challenge here & that reading your attempts give me great pleasure as yours provide a delicate atmosphere of serenity & mere appreciation of your surroundings plus you have also used a painting by Van Gogh, one artist i truly adore. Thank you & i'm looking forward to reading what others have offered.

    smiles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelvin ... I had to introduce your Tilus to my haiku-family-members and I am glad that it makes you happy that I have done that. I like the Tilus, and it's a very addictive poetry-form. Thank you for the nice words shared here ...

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing Kelvin's tilus with us, Kristjaan!

    ReplyDelete