Sunday, January 13, 2013

Carpe Diem #95, Blues


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

Yesterday we had Jazz for prompt and today it's Blues another nice kind of music. I love Blues and especially the music of Gary Moore. I fell in love with Blues when I heard his song 'Still got the Blues'.


Really this is my kind of music, those guitars ... wow ... and the voice of Gary Moore a bit raw. Blues? What kind of music is it?

Blues is the name given to both a musical form and a music genre that originated in African-American communities of primarily the 'Deep South' of the United States around the end of the 19th century from spirituals, work songs, field hollers, shouts and chants, and rhymed simple narrative ballads. The blues form, ubiquitous in jazz, rhythm and blues, and rock and roll is charaterized by specific chord progressions, of which the twelve-bar blues chord progression is the most common.
The blue notes that, for expressive purposes are sung of played flattened or gradually bent (minor 3rd to major 3rd) in relation to the pitch of the major scale, are also an important part of the sound.


File:Twelve bar boogie-woogie blues in C.png
Twelve bar boogie woogie blues in C

I have found a few haiku on Blues on the WWW. The next three haiku are written by Russ Baleson and are part of a weblog item titled 'I've Got Dem Haiku Blues Without You'.


what are you doing
take your tongue out of my mouth
this kiss is good-bye

i’m playing the blues
touching deep that special place
the depths of my soul

alone in my bed
I’m feeling low down and blue
where the hell are you


(c) Russ Baleson

And I had to try it myself also ... I hope I succeeded on this prompt ... well I will see ...


blue notes
climbing to the blue sky
still got the blues


still got the blues
deep down inside of my guts
blue notes


Awesome isn't it? That deep feeling of the blues ...

This prompt will stay on 'til January 15th 11.59 AM (CET) and I will post our new episode of Carpe Diem later on today around 10.00 PM (CET) ... that will be: Ember (provided by Bjorn Brudberg of
Bjorn Brudbergs Writings )


8 comments:

  1. What can I say? I'm on a roll! I've posted two for this prompt (so far) I love prompt words that have multiple meanings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On roll? Always good WabiSabi, I too can enjoy prompts on which I can go on a roll. Thank you for your participation in Carpe Diem.

      Delete
  2. I find it difficult. I love blues music... But everyone else does it so well. Thank you Kristjaan for the excellent blog. And tomorrow I have to write a good haiku :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, tomorrow it's your prompt suggestion 'ember' ... I have already created the new post on 'ember', will publish it later on today.

      Delete
    2. Tomorrow is here, Bjorn. Looking forward to your excellent haiku! :)

      Delete
  3. Oh, I love this prompt! Thanks for all your hard work hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well penned haiku ~ can 'feel the blues' ~ ...still climbing the blue skies.... ~ great lines

    (A Creative Harbor) on blogger ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too bad I can't listen to Gary Moore right now, but it's impossible in Germany to open the link/youtube. Have to wait until I'm back home.
    Thanks also for reminding me to post for Haiku Heights.

    ReplyDelete